PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

We keep buying pet beds arthritic 12 yr old labrador

Customer Question

We keep buying pet beds for our arthritic 12 yr old labrador retriever. We've bought 4 of them over the last year for our dogs. The problem is we have a 1 1/2 yr old beagle who shreds them to pieces. Not only does he rip the dog beds apart, he has shredded our big retrievers collar while its on his neck. He has shredded several of his leashes while my husband isn't paying attention. He took him for a walk and stopped along the road to talk to our neighbor and while jabbering away, our dog shredded his leash and ran off without him. We can't take him anywhere because my husband is afraid he will chew something up in the truck. He has had a lot of toys, and chews them apart. We tried spraying stuff called bitter apple? to stop his chewing, and it didn't work. Help?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Good morning, Customer. Thanks for your question.

I can give you some short-term solutions to help with the the lab out (bed suggestions, collar suggestions), etc. but the chewing of the fabric and such will be something that needs to be addressed separately for the beagle. And it absolutely takes dedication on the part of BOTH owners, so its imperative that your husband be on board, too.

First things first, consider skipping out on the dog beds that the Beagle has shredded in the past and just purchasing a crib or twin-size mattress. If needed, it's usually easy to find toppers for mattresses.

Second, consider a close-fitting collar that isn't fabric such as plastic, metal, etc. Here's an example: You want to be sure that the collar fits where only two fingers can snugly run under it, which could keep the Beagle from being able to get his jaw under the collar to chew it.

Moving up to either a very thick braided leash (think horse lead) or metal leash can also help to keep the beagle from being able to chew through them while being walked.

Then, begin thorough training by making sure that he understands that the behavior is not acceptable. Correct him with a "no" and reward him when he listens. Carry treats (and a clicker, if you prefer this method of training) to reward him when he drops the leash or ignores it completely. If he cannot be trusted in the house with beds and other fabrics, move him to an area with none when you cannot watch him such as a dog kennel.

Sometimes dogs grow out of this behavior and he's the perfect age to try to nix the behavior now. When he cannot be observed, make sure to set yourself up for success and ensure he's in an area where he cannot destroy anything. As time goes on, you should be able to give him more privileges.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?