Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

She goes around the house sniffing everything constantly and

Customer Question

She goes around the house sniffing everything constantly and she has an unhealthy dependency on her rubber ball
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She won't play with any other dogs but she eats well and sleeps when she is finally worn out. She wants to fetch the ball endlessly and only stops long enough to sniff everything around her.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lethargy is DEFINITELY not a problem!!! Her name is ***** ***** her nickname is "The Tasmanian Devil on Red Bull. She is a 2 year old purebred Daschund.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: I think she is untrainable
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

When a dog has an unhealthy attachment to something it is time to take it away and introduce other mind stimulating toys. There are a variety of dog puzzles available to try.

Playing with a ball can be good physical activity but does nothing to stimulate the mind. You have a breed that has a need to hunt vermin and that mind needs to be activated the right way which may include toys that move or are interactive in other ways .

I would also do daily positive obedience training with the dog several times a day. You want to teach the dog to wait for things as it sounds like there is poor impulse control, you want to teach leave it so the dog is not just sniffing whatever it wants to.

I am going to direct you a link to take you through training in a positive way. Eventually once training is underway you can try to introduce the ball again to gauge the impulse control.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos

clicker maintaining focus