Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My 5 year old Welsh Corgi occasionally in the house, even

Customer Question

My 5 year old Welsh Corgi occasionally poops in the house, even though we are home and we have a dog door. She has has had a dog door for 2 years but was taken for walks for the prior 3 years. It is hot outside but this has happened about once a month for the past few months. I believe it is behavioral not medical. I wasn't sure how to go about training her. I don't ever catch her in the act so there is no way I can stop her in the act. Can I show her the poop and tell her no or bad dog? I am not sure she will realize what I'm even talking about
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes, looked her over and her poop was solid. Same food, same drink patterns. Still wants treats. She was sleeping on her back like she normally does. I just wonder if she doesn't like the heat or the grass is too high. Weird
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Merry
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Merry?
Customer: She is an anxious dog in general, barks at everything, has trigger words that make her bark. But for the most part, very obedient.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

to answer the question of taking her to the poop and telling her bad dog, no you cannot and here is why. Dogs do not associate what they did five minutes ago with the owner's discipline. They cower when owners scold them because the owner is scolding them but unless caught in the act they do not know why the owner is mad. What happens is they may begin to view their feces and the owner as being the problem so then they become afraid to go in front or around the owner and they begin to hide in closets and under or behind furniture. This will exasperate your problem.

You will have to keep her connected to you when you are home via a leash so you can watch her. Whatever the fear is at going outside you have to play detective and find it. In the mean time take her out on leash to the yard and give her a potty command so she eventually learns how to go on command. then you can carry that over to the dog dog again once she is reliable.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you! I will give it a try.

you are very welcome.