Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

I have a golden doodle he is 9 months. He is potty trained

Customer Question

I have a golden doodle he is 9 months . He is potty trained but anytime someone comes over he pees a lot , most times on there shoes . It's bad. The vet said he may never stop. Help !!!!!!!
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is he purposely lifting his leg and urinating on them or does it seem involuntary?

What kin do f obedience training has he had?

what mood does he seem to be in when this happens?

What have you tried so far?

I'm writing to see if you perhaps didn't get the notification that I had requested more information from you in order to help you with your dog's situation of urinating when visitors come over. Here is the additional information that I requested from you 3 days ago.

What have you tried so far?

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.

I really was hoping to get some additional information from you before giving an answer but I do want to give you my thoughts.

Often this type of situation is the result of submissive or excitement urination. We usually ask customers to rule out medical causes for the urination such as a urinary tract infection or disc problem but you have already had him to the vet and do not indicate any medical issue was found.

You can try behavior modification to try and eliminate this problem. You can read of some techniques here.

http://www.ehow.com/how_71_treat-dog-with.html

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/excitement_urination.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

There are medications which have been found to be effective for this problem and you should ask your Vet about Proin for dogs over 6 months and Imipramine for those younger. I've found that obedience training gives dogs self confidence and helps cure this problem as well. If you have not had him obedience trained, you will want to do so as once he is more confident, he will be less likely to urinate when greeting other people.

The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Be sure and ask all visitors to try not to get him overly excited as well. Have them greet him in a normal tone of voice and not pet him until he is calm or sitting down. That will help if excitement is a trigger. Definitely talk to your vet about Proin to see if that will help the situation.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just a quick followup to remind you that you have an answer to your question waiting to be read.