Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

We have been crating my 6 year old Yorkshire Terrier since

Customer Question

We have been crating my 6 year old Yorkshire Terrier since he was a puppy. He's never put up a fight, just the occasional bark. Recently he has put on a fight to get into the kennel, we try to bribe him with treats and it does not work. Once we finally are able to get him in the kennel he cries and cries and yelps like crazy. The other day we left him out of the cage for an hour and filmed him, he again spent the whole time crying. I'm at a loss and do not know what to do.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

When did he start to carry on like this?

What do you do when this happens?

Has he ever been put in there for punishment?

Do you feed him his meal in there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This has started the last few months.We have to keep coaxing him until he does or we leave him out.He has never been put there for punishment nor does he eat in there
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. He may be suffering a bit of separation anxiety and this can happen if the dog has been left alone suddenly when you were always around or if the dog was in the crate when something happened to frighten it, this can be a loud noise such as fireworks, construction work in the neighborhood etc. I might revisit where the crate placed when you put him in there, move it to a place he can see things going on.

I would also play some calming music when you leave there are CDS for this found on amazon or you can try the free music on your computer.

I would feed him his daily meal in there when you are home and not lock the door. We want him to see the crate differently and sometimes coaxing with treats is a way to bribe but does not always work. If he is hungry and asked to eat in there it become more a normal place to be.

Generally anxiety plays a reason for a dog suddenly acting out when put in the crate.

Through a dogs ear

3 hours of dog calming music on youtube to try out

Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

One thing to be clear on is to not let him out if he is crying or whining or he will see that as something that works for him. Wait for a quiet moment.