Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Today at the dog park my 2 year old husky X maremma was

Customer Question

Today at the dog park my 2 year old husky X maremma was playing with several other large dogs as he usually does without incident. He then spotted a rather small dog across the park and went for it very aggressively over and over, biting and shaking it until I had to catch him and drag him off, the small dog was uninjured. I was wondering if there is any particular reason why my dog was fine with the larger dogs but aggressive towards the small dog.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This is not uncommon at all, especially in northern breeds. They will often see small dogs as a prey species and that trips the predator/ prey drive in them. We see this all the time here at my ER where small dogs are picked up and shook by larger dogs.

You can train that out of him. It'll take time though to be around smaller dogs while still maintaining a normal state of mind and paying attention to your cues. Make sure this is all done on leash until he is fully trustworthy before doing any off leash work.