Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I feel so badly little multi-poo. reason approximately a

Customer Question

I feel so badly for my little multi-poo. For some reason approximately a year ago she started turning brownish around her mouth and paws. It has gotten progressively worse and we can't seem to find a chemical reason for it. She licks and now chews on her paws all the time. Help!
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. That brownish/reddish color that forms on the hair is due to the enzymes in the saliva. It is common to see in white haired breeds (I am assuming she is has a white hair coat). You often see it around the eyes because the enzymes in the tears do the same thing. Many of these breed, including Maltese and Poodles, tend to over tear, so you will see it often there. Some may have a little excessive salivation, but there could still be a medical reason behind it. In many cases, their teeth and gums are not in the best condition. If she has chronic issues with vomiting, diarrhea or lack of appetite; it may be related to nausea. Either way, I would have your vet do a full oral exam on her. The licking of the paws may be due to an allergy or it could be an OCD thing with some dogs. But, if the paws are white, they will often turn brown as well. Your vet can evaluate her for a potential allergy. Unfortunately, there isn't anything good that eliminates the brown color. If related to the eyes, Angel Eyes may help. A topical antibiotic for the eyes, called Terramycin, can also help. It is harder to control around the mouth. I have recommended giving a teaspoon of plain yogurt daily (actually heard that from a groomer friend of mine, and it has worked in some cases) to eliminate the color change. I have had mixed results with that, and it has even given some dogs a bad upset stomach. She may just need a teeth cleaning by your vet at this point. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ayou spoke at length about her eyes...that's not the problem. It's her licking and biting at her paws. Which does cause discoloration. I did submit this question as a 'behavior' issue as it does seem to be progressing and she doesn't do it while laying with us, only when on her own. And will even go outside or in the other room to lick her paws as she knows we ask her to stop. I want to know how to change this behavior and if it's caused by anxiety what can we do?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Just using the eyes as a comparison to the salivary staining around the mouth. That paw licking may be just behavioral if she only does it on her own. You can try things like Dog Appeasing Pheromone collars or even Anxitane (can get online without a prescription). Both can help with anxiety in dogs. I will say that with most dogs, we have to get them on something like fluoxetine or trazadone to fully control most OCD behaviors. Both of those medications are by prescription only. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jngrizzaffi