PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I adopted a 9 year old miniature male poodle seven days ago

Customer Question

I adopted a 9 year old miniature male poodle seven days ago from humane society. Sweet very smart. I can't figure out how to keep him from urinating on the wall and floor. I can't even see him do it it is just there. It is in the same place most usually. Help?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi Katy. With any urinary concern, we need to first rule out a urinary tract infection. This can be done by having a veterinarian check his urine microscopically and also perform some tests on the urine.

Many dogs who are in "new" environments who were intact in the past will mark on elevated surfaces. This is most common, perhaps, in the smaller breed dogs. I would recommend using a belly band on him when you cannot watch him and also kennel training him for when you're not home (or watching him), which should minimize those effects in your home. As you guys get into a routine together and eventually this becomes his home, the marking should stop (and if this is UTI related treatment should minimize or end the symptoms).

Belly bands:

Kennel training:

If you need more help along the way, just let me know.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, how is it going?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?