Anna, Pet Trainer
Experience:  40 yrs. training pet dogs and performance dogs in obedience, agility, herding, tracking, and therapy.

My dog is acting very erratic. He was in a crate barking

Customer Question

My dog is acting very erratic. He was in a crate barking uncontrollably all night (very unlike him) we let him out and he was trying to get out of the room. Panting a lot and just acting overall crazy. I went for a walk and he seemed normal. But i see him on camera now and he is doing a cross between barking a lot, whining (crying), and panting. As if he was distressed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shadow - 7 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: Hes a completely healthy Maltese. But this frantic behavior is unlike him. he doesnt seem to be in pain. He just seems to be overly hyper for no reason. And panicky. I would say like a person on drugs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's also panting a lot. And barking. And crying. It alternates.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I have over 40 years of experience training dogs. I'm sorry to hear Shadow is having a problem.This does not sound like a training issue to me. A training issue like this doesn't just crop up suddenly in a seven year old dog. I suspect one of two things is going on. One possibility is that Shadow can perceive something upsetting in his environment that you cannot. We have to remember that a dog's senses of hearing and smell are many, many times more acute than ours. Shadow's symptoms can indicate anxiety. There could be a strange (to him) noise coming from a neighbor's house - a new appliance, a smoke detector beeping, etc. You may have used a new cleaning product in his kennel, or a new air freshener in his room. Sometimes just one loud noise - fireworks or a siren- while a dog is in a certain place can lead to anxiety while in that place.However, before we can assume that something is upsetting Shadow, I recommend having your vet give him a complete physical exam. There are health conditions that can cause behavior changes and anxiety. Thyroid abnormalities commonly do this. A blood test called a complete thyroid panel is needed to detect this. Heart problems can also cause anxiety.If your vet finds nothing wrong, do some detective work. Even if you can't find a cause for the strange behavior, there are some steps to take. Try moving his crate to a different room. You can add a calming pheromone diffuser to his room, or spray such pheromones into his crate. The most well known one is DAP, but there are others,mand they are sold in pet stores. If he likes Kong toys (also sod in pet stores), fill one with an enjoyable treat and give it to him before bed in his crate. Sometimes a break from routine can help. If possible, see if you and Shadow could be overnight guests with a friend or relative. Go for a long car ride if he likes that. The idea is to get his mind off of this new behavior before it becomes an ingrained habit.Again, I would schedule a vet appointment to make sure nothing is physically wrong. If not, and none of the above measures help, you can talk to your vet about medication to calm Shadow. If you have more questions, just let me know. I wish you success in resolving this.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?