Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

We adopted a 5 year old weimerimer and she didn't have any

Customer Question

we adopted a 5 year old weimerimer and she didn't have any episodes in the house - now after 3 weeks she is pooping and peeing in the house after coming in from being outside
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog training's name?
Customer: Coco
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Coco?
Customer: she snores very loud , whimpers and cries when she falls asleep - takes our shoes and puts them down where she is... when we see what she has done she puts her head down and goes to another room
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Dog Trainer. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dog Trainer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Do you know anything about Coco's life before you?

Does she mostly do this when no one is home?

Does she seem to do it in one specific spot?

Is she crate trained?

What are you cleaning the areas that she urinates/defecates on with?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't know much they am said she was house trained - when home and not home one spot in sunroom and clean with disinfectant wipes and spray and have not out her in crate as they said she was house trained
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's hard to say why she's having such a break in house-training. The fact that it seems to come and go makes me wonder if it's not some kind of anxiety causing her to behave this way....since she hasn't been with you long, it's not hard to imagine that the anxiety of moving into a new place could be it.

If she were mine, I'd start with an over-the-counter product to help with any anxiety she may be having:

Melantonin is an over-the-counter drug that can be used to treat some anxiety issues in dogs. The dose you would give would be up to 3 mg given orally whenever necessary up to every 8 hours. More information can be found here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx , which includes risks, warning signs to watch out for and other bits of useful information.

Try a DAP collar. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's office..you can also find them online at places like Amazon.com and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.

Hopefully by using the collar, it'll change her mindset just enough so that she 'gets it' and stops making messes in your house.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa