Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 5 year old shih Tzu started peeing and pooping in the

Customer Question

my 5 year old shih Tzu started peeing and pooping in the house. She had surgery for a large bladder stone about 2 years ago, but we have changed her food and given her the formula the vet recommended. It seems to be getting worse. Not sure what to do punishment, yelling does not seem to help.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Ann M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

The most common cause of this is a urinary tract infection. It causes great pain, and can cause them to defecate in the house, too, because they are uncomfortable. I would try to collect a urine sample, or take her to the vet and have them collect a urine sample, and check it for evidence of a UTI as the first step. In the meantime, while you are waiting to see a vet, you can give 1/2 of a baby aspirin every 8 hours (or if you have access to the human drug Tramadol, you can give 1/4 tablet of that every 8 hours) for pain management to see if that helps. UTI's are common in female dogs.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.