Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a Golden Retriever mixed with Cocker Spaniel. He is

Customer Question

I have a Golden Retriever mixed with Cocker Spaniel. He is left alone all day in a room in wood house until I come home from work around 3:00. He is 5 years old and I've had him since a puppy. I have not been successful with his training. I am always yelling and screaming at him for almost every thing he does. Poor manners, etc. doesn't learn what he's allowed to do and not. I let him outside to run about on farm. He does come when I call. Being part Cocker Sp. he has sad droopy eyes, and my mother thinks he is depressed from being avoidably shut up all day, and my yelling at him all the time. She wants me to get another dog as a companion. Problem is, I would like to find a dog that is compatible with him, as I really don't need any more problems trying to train a dog when it is a lost cause because they don't like each other. Can you tell me what breeds would be compatible with Buddy. I would be most appreciative. Thanks. S.J.Teeter
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.

Hi S.J. Teeter,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

While getting another dog might give your current dog a companion, you may instead of helping fix your problem, be multiplying it. However, let me answer your question before going into some other option that you have. The best companion for your boy would be a similar sized female dog who was laid back so a breed like a lab would be a good choice. You would want to take him with you when choosing another dog to ensure they are compatible. Most rescues welcome interaction between a current dog and future dog to help avoid compatibility issues later.

You really do not mention what training issues you have but yelling is rarely an effective tool in training and can have the opposite effect. I do want to give you instructions on positive training techniques. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

I would suggest you start training session before you get another dog. Use paper thin hot dog slivers as treats since most dogs do respond to that type of treat a lot better than just praise or store bought treat. The secret behind training for the most part is getting the dog to WANT to obey through treats and praise until it becomes habit for them. Other specific training issues do need to be addressed individually and I'd be more than happy to help with specific issues, just let me know what those are and I'll be happy to give you tips and techniques that may be helpful.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?