Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician 30+ years
5071285

I have a Boston terrier female who is almost a year old. And

Customer Question

I have a Boston terrier female who is almost a year old. And is still not housebroken. What can we do? She has ruined our carpet.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Can you tell me what methods you have done to train housebreaking?

Does she have run of the house?

Does she pass both urine and feces in the house?

Joan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she is passing urine and feces. We have rub her nose in it we have swatted her with a newspaper we have taken her outside every 30 minutes and made her potty outside. We have had all of the carpets steam cleaned and Even gotten plug in pheromones. She is able to move around the house as she wishes when we are home.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

First step is a crate and start feeding her in the Crate and make it her home. She does not get free roam of the house. While in the crate you ask her if she has to go possty and take her outside and use the potty command. Stay with her until she goes. When done return her to the crate. She is to go out once an hour and repeat the command process. She needs to go out as soon as she gets up from a nap, right after eating and before you go to bed. As soon as you get up, take her out. Always use the go potty command. It is a matter of limiting her space. Dogs do not like to go in their Den or home. It will be repetition and letting her know the outside is the only acceptable place. By rubbing her nose in and swatting her, it did not teach her and those are not recognized as training methods. Most trainers use a crate and Nothing in life is free training method: http://www.sccpets.com/PFL/NothingInLifeIsFree.pdf

Joan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She does have a crate that she sleeps in at night and anytime we leave the house. She poops and peas in it so much that we have to wash the bedding every day
Expert:  Joan replied 6 months ago.

Just leave Newspapers in it and start feeding in the crate. It is the only way to set a schedule, where she cannot go all over the house. Consistency, Positive reinforcement, and Patience are the keys to solving the problem. it is important to reward when she does good, keep on a schedule, and use the crate as a home and a place she loves. Use command and praise when she does good.

Joan