PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I came back from the grocery store this morning an i notice

Customer Question

i came back from the grocery store this morning an i notice my dog was rubbing her face really hard against the sofa then it seemed like she wanted to go back to sleep every time she layed in a place shed jump up if r other lil dog bothered her or to me is seems like she hot cause shes panting i put a fan by her an it looks like she wants to sleep but the slightest noise or movement around her shes jump up an move
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hi, Francine. Thanks for your question.

The rubbing of the face on objects usually indicates that a pet is itching and the irritation (getting up and moving away, panting, etc). also signifies itching. If she's current on flea/tick prevention, I would then presume that she's either dealing with some seasonal allergies or may be showing signs of an early stage allergic reaction.

If you are seeing any facial swelling, you can try 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours hours to help with itching.

If you are not seeing any swelling, I would use zyrtec instead and use the following chart to treat allergies. Zyrtec tends to work better for allergies, in my professional experience, than does benadryl: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.