Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My 5 Cairn terriers got along fine until last Feb. the

Customer Question

My 5 Cairn terriers got along fine until last Feb. the youngest had recently been in season. She out of nowhere attacked the next youngest (both intake bitches). They have had to be separated ever since. From playmates to enemies. ???
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

What age was the dog when she did this and went into heat?

Who did she attack? What age?

What were the circumstances (beside heat) that she attacked? What was going on at the time of the attack and where were all the other dogs?

Do they only fight when one is in heat?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2 years old
Next youngest and my smallest dog age 5
They were wandering in backyard. No toys or food involved
No-they are kept apart ever since Feb and they growl and bark whenever they see each other from a distance
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Dogs continue to go through changes, speaking mentally, until the age of four when they have pretty much developed their life personality though that can also change depending on events that lead to impressions.

The fact that she was at 2 years old, which is prime time for a personality change or enhancement from the original personality, and the fact that she was in heat with hormones raging make for the perfect storm.

I would want to know what her personality was prior to the incident by doing a temperament test and watching development.

Unfortunately I do not have that to make an honest opinion of why this dog acted out other than to say the personality to begin with was not stable and hit the high mark at age two .

Now what you have is a learned behavior from this dog that has learned that fighting works to get her what she wants which may be the alpha of the girls. Generally girls want to be lead of all dogs in the home and when you have a multiple dog household it is vital for the human to remain in control at all times and this is done by daily positive obedience of all dogs. When any owner does not show a consistency with each dog then it opens a door for one of the dogs to take over.

I think that personality, hormones, and age had made it a ripe time for this dog to try to take over. Now it is a learned behavior which can be settled somewhat by daily training and the learn to earn program. This does not mean that the two will now ever magically get along as the 2 year old was in an life imprint at the time of the attack which made her stronger.

I might also suggest behavior adjustment training.

Reactions to Actions or Learn to Earn

Copyright Sally G

In some instances with training depending on how well the dog responds to the above training you may also want to incorporate a type of ‘learn to earn’ training as well.

What learn to earn training means is that you are taking charge of their entire life’s wants and needs. No more free food is put down in front of them. Keep the daily dose of food in a closed tin in the area where the dog is fed, call the dog to you and ask him to sit. When he sits, he gets a handful of food. Do this throughout the day using any command that the dog knows and the dog must obey that command in order to get some food.

You will also take control of when the dogs can play. The toys should have been put away before this but if they were not, put all toys away, then when you are ready to play take out a toy and play with the dog, when you decide play is over put the toy away again.

Petting does not come to them just because they nudge you, you decide when this takes place, which means you would call them to you and pet them at your discretion and ask that a command be obeyed . If they nudge to be petted, you ignore that, but you can give the dog a command at any time to obey and reward that behavior with petting. Again you always want to reinforce a behavior you have asked for. So even though you know the dog has nudged you to be petted, you don’t have to totally ignore the dog, in fact this is the perfect opportunity to turn that nudge into a trick or command and praise and reward the dog for that.

Anything your dog takes for granted such as you opening the door to let it out, putting on a leash to go for a walk, allowing it to walk though a door before you, etc. these are all privileges to a dog that come naturally due to the human’s repetitive actions over time but many humans don’t realize this.

So before you go through that door put the dog in a sit or wait and you walk through first then invite the dog to walk through. Again this should be rewarded with praise. Before you put the leash on you ask for a sit stay. Furniture is a no, no for dogs that have aggressive tendencies because it puts them in a higher charge over the others in the home, even children.

Dogs should not just be allowed on the couch without specific invitation if at all. This need to be close and cuddle is more a human thing than a dog thing. Dogs do like to be close to the one they love and respect, but sitting on the floor next to that person will be enough to please them.

This is not to say that no dog should ever be allowed on a couch, it is perfectly fine if you have stable easy going dogs. It is when there are problem dogs in the home that furniture should be off limits to all dogs.

As mentioned above, in most cases dogs have developed habits that some owners allowed and gave in to over time but did not realize it. What might be helpful to the owner is to sit and make a list of all the good things your dog gets for free by an action that you have let the dog do for years. This will help you to turn those free behaviors into commands or tricks that can earn a reward.

When the dog tries that action to get the desired reaction from you, stop and think, did I call the dog over to be petted? Did I tell the dog it is time to go out and that is why he brings the leash? Did I say let’s play so that is why he dropped the ball in my lap? All of those actions got the dog reactions in the past usually in a positive beneficial way to the dog. So now it is time to turn that all around.

Keep in mind that dogs do what works for them and if it stops working they usually stop doing it. So when they growl or snap at you when you reach for that bone, it usually works as the human won't take it. I would never suggest to take anything from a growling dog, merely explaining that this works for the dog so therefore they do it. Using the learn to earn program does not really give them a chance to become possessive.

Dogs that are well balanced within a group to begin with do not really need any of the above things to change; it is your right to spoil a well rounded dog! It is only homes with dogs in it that have social limitations around other dogs that should need the above direction.

for daily training:

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Behavior adjustment :

http://empoweredanimals.com/

http://empoweredanimals.com/BAT-basics.pdf