Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I have an American Mastiff who recently twisted his foot

Customer Question

I have an American Mastiff who recently twisted his foot coming up our three steps to the front door into the house. There was no injury from this other than the initial pain.
He will not go down that set of steps anymore. He is holding his bladder for upwards of 12 hours to avoid going outside.
We have two more small sets of steps for outdoor access. The deck and the garage. He will only go down one of those 2 sets. The problem is he will not come up ANY set if of steps. He will lay in the garage all day.
When my husband gets home we are able to coax/push/pull him up a ramp we bought and put over the stairs. He will not come up the ramp by himself. He weighs 225lbs. so I can't get him inside by myself. Once he's inside he's very happy.
Help! His can we get him to use the stairs again, or alternatively, the ramp on his own?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....Which foot did Sam initially injure?How long ago did he hurt his foot?Does he ever do any limping?Does he ever have tick exposure?What state do you live in?Did you have a vet take a peek when he first hurt his foot?