Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My dog chews his nails constantly-mostly front paws - in

Customer Question

My dog chews his nails constantly-mostly front paws - in fact he chews the sheaths off - because his nails are black, but now some are colorless. What can I do to discourage this behavior?
He also has allergies - because he's bites himself a lot. He's on flea and tick medication, and my other dog doesn't do this. An allergy test didn't raise any red flags. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?
Thank you
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Allergies would be the number one reason dogs lick and chew their feet. If you can help the allergy you can help the behvaior. Unfortunately if you are not with him at all times giving a command is not going to solve the problem and leaving him with chew or interactive toys may work for a while but the need to lick and chew is such a strong desire due to the allergy that aside from covering his feet or using a comfy cone when you cannot watch him is about all you can do to curb the behavior.I would suggest you talk with your vet about Apoquel to stop the licking and chewing and help with the allergies. You can find the comfy cone on amazon. This can be used for prolonged periods and dogs seem to tolerate this cone over the plastic ones better.