Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

JA: . What do you want help with? Customer: I have a Korean

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a Korean rescue for 16 months, she is fine inside the home and yard. If I take her outside on the street to walk she barks horrible at anyone walking toward her. She also is very fearful of people coming into the house. I think she would bite out of fear. In Korea she was abused and found on the streets at age 2-3
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds anywhere
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sascha
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sancha?
Customer: I have seen many trainers etc. She started Prozac 5 days ago and now I'm wondering if I did the right thing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. You have a fearful dog and sometimes they can be helped only to a certain extent sometimes when you adopt such dogs you have to make some sacrifices as it is like trying to change a humans personality , it can't be done, though you may be ale to bring them out of their shell a little bit, they will never be fully comfortable. Your dog acts out because it works in keeping strangers away. f you force people on the dog you are likely looking at a bite.If you have not tried a reactive training class I would suggest this so you can begin introducing the dog to people in a controlled environment. The prosac alone will not work, it rarely does, and sometimes it makes a dog more aggressive. I would do behavior modification training with the dog to take her as far as you can and then make adjustments to her life in other areas.When you take her to the street you are setting her up to fail at this point because she only knows one way to behave and that behavior has worked for her for a long time. Now you have to show her that you are in control of the situation by A) keeping distance from people when you walk her B) not allowing people to just approach her at will.When she is on a lease she is feeling trapped, she cannot run away and the same when she is in a home or where there is any barrier that would prevent her from escape.