Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

Pearl - JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl -
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: My dog has been doing this weird thing lately when he starts panting, drooling, and seems to be anxious. He won't leave my side and his ears are back. He needs to be close to me. I take him outside and then he gets better immediately! But won't get back inside for a while...
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: What do you think that is?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: His name is knuckles; he's a 10 year old pitbull
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 6 months ago.
Hello,It appears that something is causing anxiety with your dog. This can happen sometimes this time of year during periods of humidity or unstable atmospheric conditions/thunderstorms. The static electricity and drops in pressure that this causes can be very unsettling to dogs.There may also be a new animal or dog in the neighborhood that your dog is picking up the scent of and it causing him stress. Dogs have an acute sense of smell to the extent that it is impossible for us to comprehend.Whatever the nature of the stress, for symptomatic relief, you can try treating with Benadryl (which is technically an antihistamine that has a significant anti-anxiety property as well). It is dosed at 1 mg per pound of body weight (it comes in 25 mg tablets or capsules) and can be dose as often as every 8 hours.For long term anxiety relief if necessary, you can try pheromone therapy with a product Called Adaptil. This pheromone is derived from the pheromone secreted by lactating doggy moms that has a calming effect on the puppies so that they will settle down and nurse. The product comes in a diffuser that you can plug in (like an air freshener) or sprays that last for 8-12 hours (I like to spray them on a bandanna and tie it around the neck. Adaptil can be found at most pet stores or online.Best wishes to you and your dog! Thanks for choosing Just Answer!