Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

Trigger is 1 yr and 5months he is german shepherd / pit he

Customer Question

Trigger is 1 yr and 5months he is german shepherd / pit he is such a loving dog so sweet & so smart & im not just saying this because hes mine. But hes a great dog & then all of.a.sudden his eyes change & his whole face changes & he attacks viciously. Hes attacked and bite 5 people so far and yesterday was the first time attacking me i am 5 ft 3in barley 100 lbs he knocked me tk the ground where i was on my back if my dad was not there he could of killed me i have bite marks on my chest and my fingers are really messed up on my left hand. Idk what to do everybody is trying to.make me give him to a shelter i dint want to do that i love that sog i have never ever had a cknnection with an animal likei do him. He bit my dad up pretty good too rightafter the attack after we cleaned our wounds trigger went and laid right at my dads feet. He kept telling him gwt outta here no go on and he wouldnt leave and i made teigger sleep in the garage last night because everyonein my house is acared of him he literally attacks at random and u never know whe it will be amd he goes for the kill. Hes already killed 9 chickens a rooster a cat many rabbits and squirrels and bite 5 ppl including me. He looks possessed when he goes in a rage. He doesnt even look like trigger.ive never seen this before in my life and he is such a loving playful dog about an hr after he attacked me and i was getting him setup in the garage he was crying to get out snd im like ur staying here tonight boy and i was crying a bit cuz ppl trying to.make me get eid of him but he came over to me started licking my face and then atarted livking my wounds he did that for like 10 min my fingers had a bandage on it he kept licking it and nibbling at the bandage trying to get it off and nudging me with his head and licking my face it was so sweet and im heart broken i cant let him go idk what to do
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry to hear of the aggression issues your GSD/Pit is heaving. The first thing is to get him neutered if he isn't already. The same thing goes for obedience training. Dogs that are not obedience trained tend to start trying to make the people around them obey them rather than the other way around and thus they reprimand them by growling and then biting if the growl is ignored. It can often seem randome as one minute the dog will want your attention and the next minute they are viciously growling and lunging at you to stop. Things like asking them to move off of furniture or go outside or come to put a leash on are things that might elicit this response. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions. Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below. You would also be safer if you taught him to wear a basket style muzzle. It allows them to breath normally and even eat and drink to a limited degree but not bite. It has to be a basket style if you want him to wear it for longer periods of time. He isn't listening well from what little you have told me, so it may be totally behavioral especially if he has not had any recent obedience training done. In addition, there are medical causes for a dog to have sudden aggression such as hypothyroidism. Things like pain can also cause sudden aggression.. GSD's are prone to hip issues which can lead to pain as well as other conditions. Read more on medical conditions that can cause aggression here: Keep a leash on him as well and let him drag it. You can use it to control him and also to give him a reprimand if he should start displaying aggressive behavior. This will help him learn that you do not want that aggressive behavior. Often a dog is sending warning signals that humans don't interpret and it may seem like a dog attacks with no warning, so learning body language will help interpret a dog's mood and perhaps give you some advance warning to any potential aggression. Your boy is still young and neutering and training may help stop the aggressive behavior and allow your family to feel safer around him in the future. All humans should participate in the training sessions at one point or another so the dog sees everyone in the family as the boss. I do have to warn you that most states only allow one bite before they seize an animal and deem them vicious, so you need to get this taken care of as soon as possible. In addition, if the situation is not improving using the techniques and suggestions I've made, you may have to consult a professional behaviorist. You can usually find a behaviorist by asking your Vet for a recommendation or you may be able to find one using the following site., at this point, I would seriously consider having a behaviorist anyway available to evaluate the dog and determine the aggression level. In the meantime, institute the techniques I have recommended. If for some reason you are unable to work with the dog, you might contact some no kill shelters or some GSD or Pit only rescues, but you will need to be totally up front about your dog's problem. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.