Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

I have a rescue dog 6 months that I was told was

Customer Question

I have a rescue dog for about 6 months that I was told was 5 years old. My problem with her is potty training. She gives no indication that she has to go out, and when I take her out she will not go potty. I have walked her around for over an hour more than once, and nothing. She will not go when she is with me (she will hold it for hours) and when she does go, she hides. In the beginning I thought she just had to get used to the house, but nothing is helping. I think she may have been punished in the house she was in previously. What can I do?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Brandy is having trouble with learning the rules of potty training.I suspect the only thing that she has figured out is that people don't want to see her eliminations. Dogs that were severely reprimanded (abused?) when caught eliminating in the home may learn that this is something people don't want to see, but don't necessarily figure out that the problem is where she is eliminating.Little dogs can be very difficult to housebreak as they can have accidents in the house and you can easily miss them. The more these occur the more the dog assumes it is fine to do so. In no time a very bad habit has been established.In most cases by the time owners find evidence that their dog is eliminating in the house training is much more difficult as now we need to retrain them to lose the bad habits and learn new, appropriate behavior so this won't be a quick fix.You do want to start with a physical examination to make sure all is well physically with her. If she isn't spayed then I highly recommend you have her spayed as hormones and marking behavior in adult, intact female dogs can complicate the matter.If she's healthy I recommend starting housbreaking all over again, as if she had never been trained. That means she isn't left alone or given free range in the home. Some owners will place a long lead on their dog in the house so you can feel as she tugs on it as she starts to try to leave your sight, and then you can get her out. If you cannot watch her he must be crated or confined in a very small area so that she cannot eliminate at one end and sleep on the other.Most dogs will give some sort of sign they are going to eliminate, such as pacing or leaving the room you are in to eliminate in private. You'll need to watch her closely and learn her signals.She should be fed meals and taken out shortly after to a particular area where you want her to go and where her scent from previous eliminations are there to attract her. You may want to collect urine and stool and "mark" the area you want her to go so it smells like her. Make sure to praise her profusely when she does the right thing, and just a sharp "No" and out she goes to the right spot if you catch her making a mistake.I understand the house has been cleaned but if an odor eliminator like Nature's Recipe wasn't used the scent may still be there and she will be attracted to those areas. I recommend following up by cleaning again any area he went with an odor neutralizer.Here is a link to a very good write up about housebreaking. It is written for puppy owners but all of the recommendations are appropriate for adults as well: the meantime if she is very anxious outdoors then try placing a DAP collar on her. This is a collar impregnated with a soothing pheromone which may help her to relax. See these links for examples and more information: of luck with your girl, let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Brandy. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them, thank you, ***** *****