Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

We are having issues with my daughters Staffy "Tiffany".

Customer Question

Hi, we are having issues with my daughters Staffy "Tiffany". She is about 6 months old and is generally a well behaved, obedient dog. How're when we go she become super destructive and has recently broken into the house and peed on our bed! I'm not sure if it is separation anxiety or just loneliness.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...Tiffany ONLY acts like this when she's alone?Is she crate trained at all?How much exercise does she get?Can you explain your routine before you leave?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, it is only when she's alone. We have not crate trained her as she is supposed to be a guard dog as well so we prefer not to restrict her movements in the yard when we're not home. We attempt to walk her regularly, but sometimes we have to skip a day. Mornings are quite busy and she is generally out side while we get ready. Some times she comes in for a little while to say good morning before we start to get ready. Then just before I leave I give her a bone/Kong. The kids are home for another 15 to 30 minutes after I leave, but she is usually outside during this time.
We do have a silky terroir as well who is an inside dog. She generally doesn't interact with Tiffany no matter how much Tiffany tries. Could it be a degree of jealousy because the silky is inside during the day when Tiffany is out side? We have toyed with the idea of getting another older dog to keep Tiffany company during the day but we're are concerned that if this doesn't help them she might pass on her bad behaviours to the other dog.