PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

How do I prevent my sixteen month old, neutered male Yorkie

Customer Question

How do I prevent my sixteen month old, neutered male Yorkie from lifting and urinating on furniture...does he thing it's a tree. He has a huge fenced yard with two doggie doors on either side of the back yard and can come and go at will. He has a "sister" female Yorkie same age and also fixed. They get along great and sleep together.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hi Mary. Your concern is a common one. Lots of dogs like to leave a statement behind that something is theirs, be that in the home or otherwise. If you haven't tried using a belly band like this one: that would be the next step.It does one of two things: 1) Either the boys learn their body is covered, so they avoid hiking their leg or 2) It catches the urine (we usually put a sanitary pad on the inside of these) so there's no marking on the furniture. With age, he may grow out of this habit. He's rather young and still learning all the ways of the world :) Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
JaCustomer, did you have any questions regarding your boy?