Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My 5 year old dog has turned extremely aggressive in the last

Customer Question

My 5 year old dog has turned extremely aggressive in the last week. He attacks my other dog and goes for the neck, he attacks when they're asleep, he's taken a flying leap off a chair at my face, he's gone for me as well, and I don't know what to do to make it stop. We've taken him to the vet and she said there's nothing physically wrong with him, although we're waiting on blood test results. At the moment, he's in the bathroom while the other dogs are out. It's all the time and we are at our wit's end
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. With the blood tests is there a full thyroid panel included?Has anything changed in your home? How long have you had the two dogs together?Are both neutered?How many dogs are in the home?What was going on when the dog went after you?How easy is it for you to take valued items away from this dog?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All blood tests came back negative including the thyroid panel and biochem tests. Nothing at all has changed in our home, or with their food or anything. They are all neutered. The aggressive one, Boof, is the son of the other 2 so we've had him since birth and nothing like this has ever happened before. I was asleep in bed when he went for me. He doesn't really have anything valued as such to take away. He plays all the time with socks joined together, and balls and things and there is no issue
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Since there was nothing going on with you at the time of the attack and there was nothing that happened prior to this, meaning he had always gotten along with the others, I would suspect something neurological is going causing the behavior, something such as pressure on the brain and not a caused by just an overall behavior problem. But to be sure it is not a possessive type of thing such as toys or spacial, for now I would take all toys, beds, etc. and put them away . IF he is allowed on furniture do not allow it for a while and see if there is any change. At night or while at rest I would crate him until you have had a chance to seek an exam from a neurologist.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.