Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs

HelloJA: . How can we help?Customer: I have a 9 month

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I have a 9 month old rat terrier who is lately extremely scared and anxious
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the rat terrier?
Customer: Im not sure what the issue is hes just been hiding under the bed alot and when we walk him he runs from people and noises
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Ill ask my wife to check. We usually clean his feet when he comes in and I havent noticed anything
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the rat terrier?
Customer: He is a rescue dog my sister adopted him for me as a gift she said he came from a home where he was neglected
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. You also have the option of our phone call services which I can offer you from my end for just 5 dollars extra,
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.
Where did you get him from? Has he always been scared and anxious or is this something new? What have you done when he acts this way?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello sally,
he was adopted from a shelter by my sister as a gift for my mom but the dog followed me everywhere the second we met him so my mom asked me to take em instead. According to my sister the shelter said he came from a neglectful owner.
This is something new and has only been happening the last few days. He was usually pretty social and always the first to walk up to other dogs.
When he gets all scared I have usually tried rubbing em and being there for him I dont yell at em for not socializing with other dogas or for running away from peole. I will pick him up and that usualy helps stop the shaking. He shakes alot.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for that information. It sounds like as he is growing he was going through some fear imprints that may not have been handled correctly. Dogs go through these imprints a few times in their lives until they reach adulthood of four years. If we coddle the dog or continue to take them to places that seem uncomfortable for them when they go through these imprints we are setting them up to fail. This may have been done before you got the dog. They go through the fear imprint at age 8 to 11 weeks then the flight imprint between the 4 and 8 month period, then another fear imprint between 6 to 14 months so the dog is at an age where this will take over its life. I would refrain from any coddling as that reinforces the behavior and I would take a break from other animals or situations that are making the dog uncomfortable for a while and then resume at age 12 to 14 months and see if the break from those situations helped him. Also in the meantime try boosting his confidence through positive obedience training. We generally train in short sessions a few times a day and set them up to succeed at what we ask them to boost confidence in themselves but also to have them understand you are consistent and not going to put them in a situation to fail. Once they get that they become a bit more trusting of new situations. I would do clicker training only not use the clicker but use your voice as a marker as a clicker sound at this time may frighten the dog. Use one word such as yes or good to mark the correct behavior. I will direct you to a site for training to get you started. Then you want to do behavior adjustment training if you see he is still having a problem. This training is gradually bringing the dog closer to an uncomfortable position. Let me know if you have any questionsClicker training/positive method training/ print off video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos Training method BAT