Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My yorkie attacks my other dog reason JA: I'll do all

Customer Question

my yorkie attacks my other dog for no reason
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: she is attacking other dog for no reason
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she attacks the ear face
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: gigi 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gigi?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. You also have the option of our phone call services which I can offer you from my end for just 5 dollars extra.Dogs rarely attack for no reason. Some dogs do not like other dogs near them because they are fearful and so they act out to move other dogs away from them. Each dog shows a type of body language which will tell another dog what their intention is. Please tell me what you are seeing when your dog attacks. Also tell me what you do when this happens. Is your dog a little shy or scared of people or other dogs to begin with?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My other dog could be just walking by or nust laying down sleeping. After we get the two dogs apart i put the yorkie in the playpen
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no my yorkie is not shy or scared or people or other dogs
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Are these two females or a male with the female?How long have you had them together?Where did they come from?How is she when there are items she values near her? For instance when these attacks take place are there any toys, dog beds, bones etc around?How is she when you take a valued item from her? Does she give it up easily?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they are both female been together for a year our beagle came from pound and the yorkie someone was getting rid of her there are toys and beds around she does not give up her favorite toy easily
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** a lot:) It seems she is possessive aggressive and thus anyone that is around what she sees as a valued item is going to be the brunt of an attack.I would put her on the learn to earn program and I would be training her in commands several times a day in short sessions to put yourself at the top of the heap and bring her down to the same playing field as the beagle. I will put a training site below and an explanation of the learn to earn program . It will take some time to work through this. Clicker training/positive method training/ print offhttp://www.clickerlessons.com/ video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm Reactions to Actions or Learn to EarnCopyright Sally G In some instances with training depending on how well the dog responds to the above training you may also want to incorporate a type of ‘learn to earn’ training as well. What learn to earn training means is that you are taking charge of their entire life’s wants and needs. No more free food is put down in front of them. Keep the daily dose of food in a closed tin in the area where the dog is fed, call the dog to you and ask him to sit. When he sits, he gets a handful of food. Do this throughout the day using any command that the dog knows and the dog must obey that command in order to get some food. You will also take control of when the dogs can play. The toys should have been put away before this but if they were not, put all toys away, then when you are ready to play take out a toy and play with the dog, when you decide play is over put the toy away again. Petting does not come to them just because they nudge you, you decide when this takes place, which means you would call them to you and pet them at your discretion and ask that a command be obeyed . If they nudge to be petted, you ignore that, but you can give the dog a command at any time to obey and reward that behavior with petting. Again you always want to reinforce a behavior you have asked for. So even though you know the dog has nudged you to be petted, you don’t have to totally ignore the dog, in fact this is the perfect opportunity to turn that nudge into a trick or command and praise and reward the dog for that. Anything your dog takes for granted such as you opening the door to let it out, putting on a leash to go for a walk, allowing it to walk though a door before you, etc. these are all privileges to a dog that come naturally due to the human’s repetitive actions over time but many humans don’t realize this. So before you go through that door put the dog in a sit or wait and you walk through first then invite the dog to walk through. Again this should be rewarded with praise. Before you put the leash on you ask for a sit stay. Furniture is a no, no for dogs that have aggressive tendencies because it puts them in a higher charge over the others in the home, even children. Dogs should not just be allowed on the couch without specific invitation if at all. This need to be close and cuddle is more a human thing than a dog thing. Dogs do like to be close to the one they love and respect, but sitting on the floor next to that person will be enough to please them. This is not to say that no dog should ever be allowed on a couch, it is perfectly fine if you have stable easy going dogs. It is when there are problem dogs in the home that furniture should be off limits to all dogs. As mentioned above, in most cases dogs have developed habits that some owners allowed and gave in to over time but did not realize it. What might be helpful to the owner is to sit and make a list of all the good things your dog gets for free by an action that you have let the dog do for years. This will help you to turn those free behaviors into commands or tricks that can earn a reward. When the dog tries that action to get the desired reaction from you, stop and think, did I call the dog over to be petted? Did I tell the dog it is time to go out and that is why he brings the leash? Did I say let’s play so that is why he dropped the ball in my lap? All of those actions got the dog reactions in the past usually in a positive beneficial way to the dog. So now it is time to turn that all around. Keep in mind that dogs do what works for them and if it stops working they usually stop doing it. So when they growl or snap at you when you reach for that bone, it usually works as the human won't take it. I would never suggest to take anything from a growling dog, merely explaining that this works for the dog so therefore they do it. Using the learn to earn program does not really give them a chance to become possessive. Dogs that are well balanced within a group to begin with do not really need any of the above things to change; it is your right to spoil a well rounded dog! It is only homes with dogs in it that have social limitations around other dogs that should need the above direction.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Charlotte,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.