Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

When i leave she howl non stop till I come back. My neighbor

Customer Question

When i leave she howl non stop till I come back. My neighbor complain can I give her something to calm her down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Autumn. And she is 7 months old She is a beagle
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Autumn?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. This is referred to as separation anxiety. There are ways to combat this from training to collars. Changing how you approach and deal with the dog can help as well. First thing is to take your dog for a nice long walk before you leave, preferably 30 minutes or long. Make it a long, quick paced walk to tire Autumn out. Second is to use a low-key approach to leaving the house. Ignore your dog before you leave and after you come home for at least 5 minutes or more. If your house is like mine in the morning everyone is running around getting ready to leave. This has the dog in an excited mood and then suddenly she is alone. If this is the case, put her away from everyone, say in a bathroom until the frenzy is over. Don't punish or shout at your dog when you come home and find she’s howled the whole time. When you do, you increase her stress level rather than reduce it. Also, you might want to set up a recording devise to ensure she actually is doing this. Some neighbors will exaggerate a situation and technically as long as it isn't all the time and only for a little after you leave and not before or after certain times, it isn't a real problem. You can provide her with small stimulating toys or toys that you can fill with treats like kongs. You can fill with xylitol free peanut butter or yogurt and freeze it. Give when you leave and if her mouth is busy she won't be howling. Sometimes leaving a TV or radio on can help a dog with this problem as well. Also remember to not reward a dog's excitement to you with petting and affection or even eye contact. You want to show her nice calm praise when she is being calm. Another thing that might help is a DAP collar. These use a pheromone to calm a dog. It isn't medication so can be used with medication which I will discuss later. See one leaving the house, opening the door immediately and rewarding her with a hot dog treat if she did not showl. This teaches her that you leave but come back quickly. Once she seems to not do anything when you initially leave, lengthen the time she must be quiet for you to come back in. Change the time as well. Make it 2 minutes one time and 10 mintues another, so she never knows if you are gone for an hour or gone for 2 minutes. It helps her stay calm for longer periods of time, just be sure you reward her when she is good. Another thing that helps is to do things that might make the dog feel you are leaving and then don't such as putting on your coat or picking up your keys. Or leave without doing those things. This helps remove things that might trigger the dog to become anxious. These should help her separation anxiety and boredom and help curb her howling. It will not be an overnight cure and will take work on your and your family’s part to be consistent in your interaction with her. Here is a site that also offers idea to combat separation anxiety. There are many other methods available such as citronella spray collar and shock bark collars that will stop excessive barking and will work with howls. They dont' stop whinning though. Another option is medication, which is discussed on this site: You do want to try as many techniques together, so if you use medication, go ahead and use a dap collar and start training so you can stop using medication at one point. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.