Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

My husky does not like being groomed and after she was attacked

Customer Question

My husky does not like being groomed and after she was attacked by another dog she cannot handle going to grooming facilities that have her caged with other dogs around. How can I get her to relax and let me brush and bath her at home? I do it now but she does not like her lower belly brushed or the back of her legs and doesn't like her tail being touch. I muzzle her but it is more of hours spent trying to get her brushed cause she contantly wanders off.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is currently about 60 lbs and is about 10 years old. She will sit and lay down from me to brush her back, chest, and sides but only for about 10 mins then she wonders off. If I try to force her to lay back down or sit back down she get defiant. Usually I let her wander for about 5 mins and then she will come back for more. She still will never let me brush her lower belly unless I have my husband help me to keep her calm and it usually has to be the last part I do. It is the same way with the back of her legs.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. The fastest way to accomplish your goal is to get your girl to associate the grooming with good things. Try feeding her tiny hot dog slivers while you brush her so she associates the brushing with the treat. Do not give a treat if she walks away or when she comes back until you are brushing her. Combine it with calm praise as well because you will phase out treats later. Now the best way of approaching the problem is to have a set area where you do this preferably where you can have a leach holder above her head. The leash should be attached with just a little slack so that she is forced to sit or stand. She won't be able to lay down. That will allow you to brush the majority of her without having her walk away. The tools you are using may also be part of the problem. Often for the area on the back of the legs, shedding tool will be used due to the heavy undercoat in the area. See one here: These tools make the grooming process easier for you and the dog. There isn't as much pulling and discomfort for the dog. For the stomach area, you can loosen the leash so she can roll over and instead of immediately brushing the stomach, stroke her. Most dogs like their stomach rubbed. the proper tool might help for the stomach as well since the belly is a bit more sensitive to pulls. Usually with bathing, you can also have the dog on a short leash to keep them in place. Treats can help with this process as well. It is important to determine if she is more comfortable with a spray, standing bath or pouring water over her. Many dogs hate sprayers but are fine having water poured on them. Others are fine with a spray if the spray is kept close to the body. Many breeders devote a spare bathroom to bathing and either attach the leash to the soap dish if built in or install an Eye bolt to attach the leash to so you are not battling to keep a 75 pound dog in the tub. My dogs do not like the hose or cold water even in the summer so all of mine are bathed in the tub. I do start my pups being bathed early so they are used to being bathed. I want to also give you a couple of sites that show grooming tables and set ups as well as tips on how to groom a husky. Use them tasty hot dog slivers to keep her happy while you groom her. You can get about 50 paper thin slivers out of a hot dog if you slice it right. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?