Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have s two year old female wheaten with a lovely friendly

Customer Question

Hi I have s two year old female wheaten with a lovely friendly temperament but who has over the last several months began to show a real frenzy when wanting to go out of the door into the garden. It's getting worse and out attempts to calm her , make her sit and wait or even put lead on her to exit are not working. Often she ends up turning and lunging to bite door handles or spinning in circles and coming back at me to see if I'm coming out with her . She finally bit me in her frenzy / just a scratch- but enough to make me very concerned .
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has a good quality dry food diet with a little fish , egg or meat added . Seems very healthy and has three walks per day and a lot of free excercise in our large garden . We recently adopted s 2 year male German shepherd but they get on very well and play and sleep together . She has not been speyed .
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. When was her last heat cycle?Is the male neutered?Is she drinking more?Asking to go out more often?Any other abnormal behavior?Is your yard fenced?What have you tried so far?
Hi JaCustomer again. I was hoping to get some information back but don't want you to wait for an answer. Since she is not spayed, her heat cycle may be causing her intense desire to be outside. Dogs who are not fixed are driven to mate and thus during the time right before a heat cycle and the heat cycle they will be drawn to the outside in order to spread their scent and draw a mate to them. That is one possibility. If your male is not neutered he would show an interest in her if she is entering heat. Another possibility is a thyroid condition. Dogs with hypothyroidism often experience behavior changes and even sudden aggression so you might want to get a thyroid panel done to be sure she doesn't have a thyroid issue. Read about hypothyroidism here:http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2097&aid=449 Conditions that might cause her to need to urinate more often might also be to blame. These would include diabetes, urinary tract infection, or kidney issues to name a few.http://www.petplace.com/dogs/polydipsia-and-polyuria-in-dogs/page1.aspx I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?