Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs

Can introducing a dog into an established pack throw the dynamics

Customer Question

can introducing a dog into an established pack throw the dynamics totally out of whack? We had three dogs, two smaller dogs and a larger one [60lbs] We added another small dog we found as a stray about a year ago. the three other dogs had been cohabitating with no issues for two years. Over the last year the larger dog began to show signs of aggression, particularly when treats were being handed out and the focus of her attacks primarily was the smaller dog we had introduced into the pack during that year. Because of this we assumed the larger dog was the problem but am now thinking introducing the last small dog into the pack may be at the root of the problem. She was found on the side of the road in terrible condition, matted fur, damaged leg, etc. Anyway, we just surrendered the large dog which had been with us for three years to a no kill shelter and now I'm thinking she may have not been the problem [she got along very well with the other small dogs for the two years prior to introducing the third small dog] Your thoughts please. I'd hate to think we removed the wrong dog from the pack.
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi John, thanks for your question. I apologize greatly for the delay in your answer receiving prompt attention. I will be nearby today, so I can assist you. If you still want a phone call, we can plan one for later today when we're both available. Just let me know. Can you give me more info in that time? 1) How old are each of the dogs? 2) What breeds? 3) Any formal training for any of them? (puppy classes, behavioral classes, obedience classes, etc)4) Any past history of illness in any of the dogs? Problems with ticks? Any hit by car? 5) Were all of the dogs altered?I'll check back in shortly to see if you have replied.