Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

We have a 6 year old Yorkie (female0 that receives a lot of

Customer Question

We have a 6 year old Yorkie (female0 that receives a lot of love and attention. We have no other pets or children. She loves people and enjoys having visitors. She recently started showing some strange and stressful behaviour by skulking around the house and hiding behind cupboards and even inside them. This behaviour continues for some time.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. Is she spayed?If not when was her last heat cycle?How often is she doing this?How long is she doing it for?What have you tried to prevent the behavior?
Hi again, I was hoping to get a response back from the information request I made but I dont' want you to go without an answer either. Generally speaking dogs will do this for a few different reasons. One is a false pregnancy. If a female is not bred, she will sometimes have a false pregnancy and about 2 months after her heat cycle she will start searching for a whelping place such as dark quiet areas such as behind furniture, in closets and even cabinets if they can. If this is the case, she may continue this nesting behavior and even adopt a toy as a pup and it will fade away about 3-4 weeks later. If she is spayed or hasn't been in heat recently then it is possible she is experiencing some medical issues. When dogs are ill they will seek out of the way places to hide and often hide in areas where there is running water due to it being cooler there. Often larger dogs get in bathtubs, or they will dig a hole in the dirt and lay in it to cool down. So I'd go ahead and have her in for a quick checkup. Bloodwork may need to be done to ensure all her organs are functioning properly. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.