Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

My dog nips and barks when certain people leave my house. JA:

Customer Question

my dog nips and barks when certain people leave my house.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 8 years old.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: he is a chi-poodle mix, and neutered.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. How long have you had Jezzy?What obedience training has Jezzy had?How long has he been doing this?Does he only do this at home or in other places?What have you tried so far to stop the behavior?
I was hoping to get a response back before answering but want you to have an answer as well. Your Jezzy needs some obedience training. This is so he sees your as the boss and as the boss, y ou are in charge of protecting the house. Right now when they go to leave, he feels brave enough to bark and nip at their heels to "scare" them away. Due to his size, he isn't brave enough to confront them head on with him being so small. Many small dogs will do this. Obedience helps in other ways too. You can have him sit and wait while visitors leave thus eliminating the problem. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions. Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below. Until he is trained, keep a leash on him and slip it under your foot to keep him sitting when your visitors leave. When he stops trying to nip and bark, reward him with hot dog slivers. Teach visitors to walk with an exaggerated stip bringing the heels up high in the back and the dog will quickly learn that he may get a heel in his chest or chin if he gets too close to the visitor. They learn pretty quickly to stay back. Teach him the quiet command. As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach the pup the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands. You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar, shock bark collars (I personally am against shock collars) and even shaking a can of coins that will stop excessive barking. The obedience training also helps him gain self confidence and with confidence any fear should be diminished and thus less aggression. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.
A quick note to find out how Jezzy is doing. Is she responding to obedience training?