Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My dog was a rescue we've had him since September he was abused

Customer Question

My dog was a rescue we've had him since September he was abused he's much better than he was when we first got him but he still doing things that take us by surprise he's very nervous what can I do to help him through this
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. What have you tried so far?You got Skittles up this past September? Do you train Skittles and if so what method and how often?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No just the basics set stay mist of the time he listens to me but he is a Velcro dog most of the time but he will jump the fence and take off
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for that information. Traimg daily using a positive obedience method will help build a shy dog's confidence because the owner is setting the dog to succeed at what they are being asked to do. You would do this throughout the day in short 5 to 10 minutes sessions as your schedule allows. Start in the home where there are no distractions so he can succeed then gradually bring him out to the yard on leash so he cannot make a mistake and jump the fence. Teach him focus/watch so he always keeps his eye on you and awaits your next move.At this time taking him out in public may be too much and would be likely a failing point. Keep in mind that with a rescue it takes a good year before things become familiar in a neighborhood. Through the winter your house was closed up more, there were less noises and activity on the street then you will find in the spring and summer. So each season will be new to him for a while. This can have a dog take a step backward after you have worked with him so continued work is warranted. When you do get him outside more in public do the behavior adjustment training (BAT) with him. Basically you want to start at a distance in training the dog and move closer to the activity.I will direct you to sites for a positive method of training and the behavior adjustment training. If the problem of fear comes with people then you would do well to enlist your friends and relatives so you can control the situation when you move to BAT . Clicker training/positive method training/ print off video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos clicker maintaining focus Training method BAT