Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

I am on vacation and my dog sitter says my dog is morose and

Customer Question

I am on vacation and my dog sitter says my dog is morose and wants to do nothing-would it help if I call and he hears my voice been gone about a week be returning in 4 days
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Toto is having a tough time and is morose.

It's possible that he is confused and mourning you, or it is possible that he is sick and the stress of you being gone has brought that to the forefront.

Is he eating and drinking normally? If so that is good news.

As you can imagine he has no understanding of where you are and whether he has lost you for good. I don't think it would hurt him to hear your voice. That will at least tell him you aren't necessarily gone for good, but rather just not with him now. That should make him feel better. I don't think it will hurt him or make him feel worse to hear your voice. Dogs definitely recognize our voices. Make sure to keep your pitch happy and upbeat on the phone.

In the future when you leave it may be helpful to leave behind an old t-shirt or pajama top that smells like you for him to sleep and snuggle with.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.