Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

We just rehomed a 1 1/2 yr old schnauzer that is VERY

Customer Question

We just rehomed a 1 1/2 yr old schnauzer that is VERY skiddish. He was a breeders dog that was housed in a kennel and had a doggy door and fenced pen. Apparently the dog had very little human contact. We have an underground fence with 2 1/2 acres of land. We are trying to walk him on a leash but he wants to run in circles until he goes potty. Will we ever be able to interact with this dog or get him trained on the fence. We are afraid to try him on the fence. We are afraid if he gets shocked and panics we will never catch him. HELP!!
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

You are correct that if he gets a shock he may run and you may never see him again.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

I see you are off line at this time and I will be going off line for a couple of hours soon, but will be back on later.

Breeder dogs are not socialized to humans very well at all and because of this they and human interaction is limited until such a time when the dog gets used to its new home and the owner's consistency.

That being said, in time, you will be able to have a relationship with him but he may never trust others he does not know.

You can help him build confidence through daily positive training as this builds a bond of trust , consistency and self esteem in the dog.

What I would do now is put up a half pen if you cannot walk him on your property via leash at all times.

Sometimes getting a more stable minded dog , one that is sure of itself and not afraid of strangers may help this dog to loosen up a bit toward people but it is not a definite and I would get any new dog brought in temperament tested. Breeder dogs are used to being with other dogs more than people so that is why some that are shy do better with another outgoing dog.