Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

It is not my dog but my friends. when he takes s dog walk he

Customer Question

it is not my dog but my friends. when he takes his dog for a walk he tries to grab his arm esp when he has gloves on. he is a rescue dog and a pitbull. He is friendly but gets more assertive when out for walks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no but there is a wound on his tail that is just being address with coritsone
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rocky 1.5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: he doesn't like being on a leash and he also jumps on my friends back not in a fighting manner but was told the dog is trying to mate with my friend. Sorry to be blunt but I love dogs and this dog is smart and has potential.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

When we have a dog that does undesired behaviors we have to teach him a desired behavior that he will be rewarded for. So rather than biting the owners gloves when walking which would yeild only attention you want to teach the dog to heel that will not only get him praise but a food reward. This can be a hot dog sliver or chicken sliver.

When it come to humping behavior , that can be a sign of dominance so you want to stop that. This to can be done by training the dog to go to a bed or crate when friends are over.

Positive obedience training is easy to do and with a rescue I would train throughout the day in short sessions so the owner seems consistent in what they expect from the dog. When you get a rescue it is assumed the dog has not has consistency in its life or else it would be a well behaved dog and probably not put in a rescue to be adopted out. I am going to put a link below to take you through positive obedience training.

I would also invest in dog puzzles to keep the dog's mind occupied when friends come over. These can be found in any pet store or on amazon by typing in dog puzzles.

Treats do not have to be the only thing you use for puzzles or training, you can also use the dog's daily dose of kibble.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos