Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I have a 14 year old Pomeranian. She has recently started

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a 14 year old Pomeranian. She has recently started eating my two other dogs poop off the pee pad. Not in the yard.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Today she peed on my bathroom floor and was lapping it
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Ginger
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She also has started waking me at 4:30 am wanting her breakfast that she usually gets between 6:30-7:30 is this normal behavior for senior pets?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just so you know all 3 of my dogs eat a freeze dried dog food called primal. They go nuts for their food. Maybe she is doing this because she can smell it in their poop?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Many dogs will eat frozen poop that is not abnormal and many will eat their own feces but usually grow out of it. This is called Pica. But because she is a senior you will want to be sure it is not caused by a disease which you can read about here. http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/pica-in-dogs

Some dogs will do this out of boredom as well or anxiety. Again due to her age you also want to be sure she is not starting the beginning of canine cognitive dysfunction which is a sort of dementia for dogs. So keep an eye out for other signs listed in this link. http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm

There are products you can buy to put over the food that will give the stool a bad taste which may help. Deter or Dis-Taste are two such products.