Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

I have three fur babies, Nina, Maltese is 9 years old, Leo,

Customer Question

Hi, I have three fur babies, Nina, Maltese is 9 years old, Leo, yorkie is 5 years old and Houston, my rescue mini pincher mix is 2 years old. Because of my schedule and the fact that they are small, they are wee wee pad trained. My problem started in January, they have started to pee quite often wherever they want. I noticed this behavior started while I was very ill and my neighbor took care of them. She informed me that because they bark a lot, while they play, or hear any noises in the hallway or when they hear other dogs bark in the building, she took it upon herself to discipline my fur babies by rolling up magazines and hitting them on their butts and screaming "no" to them.
I trained my babies without any problems nor corporal punishments. I do not crate them nor never had to discipline them before her intrusion.
The other problem is even though I quickly mop up their mess, with a mixture of Clorox and Fabuloso they still go in the same places. Some days are worse than others.
I would greatly appreciate any advise you can give me.
Thank you, *****
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I am sorry that you had to go through all of this. I would say that if the caretaker punished them at all then they would be inclined to hide when they have to eliminate.

What type of flooring do you have that you are using bleach?

Do you still try to have them use the pads?

Where are the pads placed?

Are all male dogs neutered?

Have you had all of them get a urine check to be sure there is no UTI or Stones?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My floors are wood. Yes they use the wee wee pads when they want to. The pads are placed in the same place as always. All my babies are fixed and no they haven't gotten a urine test. I do make sure they always have water all the time and they eat when they like. I firmly believe they are upset with the way she treated them. Whenever she comes over they act aggressively towards her.and the fact that she lives across the hall doesn't help cause she's a loud speaker and sometimes we can hear her in our place. Their reaction to her voice, they start growling at the front door.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

I see. With wood floors it is hard to get the odor out of the wood so that may be bringing them back to the same spot as you are noticing. I would try a cleaner made just for dog urine or a combination of white vinegar and water as that will absorb the odor of urine better.

I might also put some kibble in those areas or treats there when they are not looking, then if they go to potty there again it will be seen as an eating place and not a peeing place. Continue to do this for a while and then put down a bowl of water there so it is still seen as a food station.

I also might invest in a large kennel type set up that is used inside the house, get a cheap piece of linoleum and put that under that gated pen area (which will help save your wood floors as well) with the wee wee pads there so there is a defined area for them to go in as it sounds like you may have to start training all over again. you can also cover that small area with a blanket so it gives them some privacy if the neighbor does come over they may still use it to pee as it will in a way shield them from her.

I might also invest in the grass patches or dog litter when retraining so it has a totally different feel to it because when we have to retrain something we don't really want them to associate an old habit with a new training.

So take them to that area, give the go potty cue and then praise and reward with a special treat, one they will only get when they use that potty area so they are inclined to use it all the time.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Maria,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.