Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

Extremely gh energy catahoula; understands commands and

Customer Question

Extremely high energy catahoula; understands commands and obeys once energy level reduced. How can I train her not to jump up and to come when energy level high or when a distraction appears?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.

Hi Michael,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How old your dog?

Is she spayed?

How much exercise does she get?

Do you have any playmates for her?

How much obedience training has she had?

do you have formal practice sessions each day or do you practice commands throughout the day as the need arises?

Do you use a food based training method?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3 years old approx. rescue dog from pound; had puppies. Catahoula mix. Now spayed.Varies: some days she gets a 2 to 3 mile run; other days she runs full speed around a large yard off and on. She has the run of this yard.No playmatesNo knowledge of other obedience training; quickly housebroken by me; trained to come quickly and easily so long as there was NOT something she wanted to do more. Will sit and stay on command once she has been settled down a little. At the ranch she is no problem. Once she has chased all the cattle out of the pasture at hand (there are other pastures) she comes when you call her, but not before. But only at the ranch once a week max. Jumps up on any house member anytime she has been alone for 1 or more hours. Simply too excited to control herself it seems.Have not been able to do formal practice sessions on a regular basisYes to food based training.This is the sweetest dog I have ever known. Just need control.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. Usually in situations like this, all you need to do is regular training sessions to solve the problem of her not obeying immediately when told. Dogs who are trained in obedience on a regular basis see their owners as the leader or boss. In the dog world, they obey the leader immediately every time. The way to become the boss is repetitive training over and over rewarding the dog with tasty treats like hot dog slivers. Initially they listen for the treats but as they obey, they become more submissive to the person giving the commands until they are conditioned to obey immediately.

Additionally, you can practice the recall or come command as well regularly. Many dogs don't come when called because they have learned that the only time they are called is when fun time is over. People call their dogs to them to make them come inside or to stop chasing prey (cats) or to be put on leash (end of free running time) or even crated. The only association they have with the come command is negative.

Additionally, dogs find chase to be a highly amusing game and have learned that if they get close to a human, the human might chase them. They love a good game. So what you need to do is make coming to you more pleasurable.

The easiest way is to reward your dog with small tiny treats and praise whenever your dog comes to you when you give the command. Do this even when the dog wants to come to you. After a few treats, the dog will associate coming to you with getting treats and praise. Outside, you will want to use a long lead. Do not drag your dog to you, but say the command and if the dog doesn't come, give the leash a short tug. Start with short distances and gradually extend the distance as your dog becomes more familiar with the command. Over time, you will reduce the treats and increase the praise until praise is the only reward. Another thing to remember is to never call a dog to you to discipline it, go to the dog. During training I don't call a dog to me unless it is going to be pleasant for the dog. I usually don't have much of a problem since the dogs quickly learn that I have thinly sliced hot dog treats just waiting for them to obey me.

I alway recommend starting inside since most dogs are more than willing to come when inside. You can even have a helper and both call the dog to them in turn rewarding the dog for coming to you.

The obedience commands can help as well with jumping as you can command the dog to sit before giving any attention. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

Until your dog is obedience trained, there is a method I've used for over 15 years and is very effective and not cruel for a dog that jumps on people. It cures even the most stubborn large dog. However, everyone in the family will have to be consistent until she learns it is not acceptable.

What you will be doing is putting one knee up to waist level any time you see the dog start to jump up. Put it up before the dog is close to you, so she sees it. YOU DO NOT KNEE THE DOG. Instead you put your knee up long before she reaches you and she jumps onto your knee generally hitting herself in the chest as a result. Since your knee is up and you aren't moving when it happens, she does not interpret it as something you are doing. At the same time you need to say in a low toned firm voice, NO JUMP. She'll learn that when she jumps, she ends up hitting her chest and will associate NO JUMP with that feeling and learn to not jump on people. She may still dance around on her hind legs, but they do usually learn not to touch the person. Again, I want to stress that the knee should not be used to hit the dog, but instead let the dog run into the knee.

Your dog may try and come at you from the side, but just shift position until she learns that she can't jump. You should also start teaching her that she will not get petted or get treats or affection or even talked to unless she is calm and she works for them by sitting or laying down.

They also make a no jump harness that is pretty effective. See one here:

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.