Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My dog will act very aggressive towards other people who try

Customer Question

My dog will act very aggressive towards other people who try to use certain objects in the house, or objects that I just used. He will growl and snap at them. Like an exercise bike I just started using he will bite anyone's feet but mine when they try to use it! I tried using treats and giving them to him when other people use it, which works but then the next day he growls again. He's also growled and snapped at noises he didn't like, like the pedals on a piano hitting the floor.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

What breed of dog is Chief?

How long have you had him?

Have you tried anything other than treats and how is it that you give the treats, what do you say when you give them to him?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He's half lab, quarter chow chow quarter great Pyrenees. Had him for 9 months he just turned 1.I've tried walking between him and the object so other people can use it, which seems to help. I don't say anything with the treats I just keep feeding him every few seconds and making sure he's watching the object being used by others.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for that information. What I would try is first teaching him the command "leave it" in a non distracting place before you bring him in to the bike area again. Right now he only knows one way to respond to this and to bring him back before we get commands down is setting him up to fail. Leave it means to leave any item, dog, person alone and to look at the owner to await the next command but do nothing in the mean time. This is vital to get in place. Then you want to work him in other commands while people are using the bike so his focus is on you.

Right now you are not telling him what you want him to do, you are just feeding him so he really does not know what to once that ends. You want others in the family to be able to tell him to leave it also when they are on the bike.

I am going to direct you to a site for positive training that will take you through the leave it command. Hold on while I get that for you.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

Keep in mind that whenever we don't want to see a specific behavior from a dog we must show them the behavior we do want to see and reward that.

I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm