Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

2 year old female rescue pulls on leash very hard to the

Customer Question

2 year old female rescue pulls on leash very hard to the point I am concerned for her health. I have tried standard leash, retractable leash and the thunder leash. I have tried slower walk with stops ( she stops when commanded and sits at all corners) . The tugging is pretty constant and increases when other dogs are near. Off leash and at home, all is good.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I see you are offline so I will give some direction basing it on your question.

Both of the leashes you are using will not control the dog.

Your best bet is to switch to a Halti or Gentle leader collar and I can tell you that most does do not like it at first but they do get used to it, especially if you put it on during fun times at first such as play and eating. This will control the head so the dog cannot pull.

The next thing you want to do is firm up your commands of heel and leave it and use these as another dog is approaching. If needed keep a piece of chicken coupled in your hand in front of her face so she can nibble on it while you give those commands as you pass the other dog. If she does not know these commands you must teach her them in a non distracting place at first and then gradually build to more distracting places before you take her to the street. To continue to take her out when you know she behaves like this is setting her up to fail. We want to set her up to succeed.

I would be training her daily in all obedience for short times throughout the day so that she sees you as being consistent in what you want from her.

If you are not familiar with clicker training I will post sites below. The heel and leave it command are in there, but work on all commands.

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

clicker maintaining focus http://www.clickertraining.com/files/auto-eye-contact.pdf

Once you feel she has gotten the two commands down then you can try the behavior modification training and you might want to use friends or family that have dogs rather then a stranger as you may need to give direction to the distracting dog owner. The premise is to briefly bring the dog a a threshold where she will not act out , around another dog and catch her succeeding, meaning not acting out, click , reward and remove your dog from the area and then try again. This is setting her up to succeed. The goal is to try to have her be a little closer or to have another dog walk past without incident.

Behavior Adjustment training

http://empoweredanimals.com/

I will be out tonight service dog training but if you have further questions you can post them here and I will get back to you when I am next online.