Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 8 month old Maltese/Chihuahua mix named "Lacey".

Customer Question

I have a 8 month old Maltese/Chihuahua mix named "Lacey". She has two other companions that are house trained, a 7 year old Chihuahua/Terrier mix named "Baby", was crate trained, and a 4 year old Chihuahua/Papillon mix named "Angel" was trained by watching "Baby" the older one. They wait till morning and when I get home from work for me to let me out in the backyard. My 8 month old named "Lacey" goes to the bathroom on the potty pads, the problem is she chews up the used potty pads and tears the poop apart in and on the beds and blankets in the sleeping area. This is driving me and the other dogs crazy. Please Help :/
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....your very best bet with this situation is going to be to start with Lacey as though she is 8 weeks old and go ahead and crate train her. That way there will be no more tearing up of pads and mess for you and your other two companions.I certainly understand why this is driving the rest of you crazy. You will need to get Lacey a crate of her own so that she can have her own space. As she successfully learns to go outside make sure to reward her good behavior and make sure to have treats in your pocket and reward her while she is outside. So this will require some work on your part in order to make this work, but Lacey is not too old to be crate trained and crate traning is the very best form of bathroom training for dogs even up until this day.

Here is an excellent site and reference for you on how to do this properly:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

There is unfortunately no way to keep her from tearing up the potty pads so crate training will just eliminate this factor altogether. I hope this helps you but please let me know if you need additional help or instruction with Lacey. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

I will be back online tonight if you need additional assistance. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB