Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I'll be traveling overseas days, I have a 6 months old

Customer Question

I'll be traveling overseas for 10 days, I have a 6 months old Maltese, and I'm leaving him home with my roommate, what should I expect on his behavior? Is he will get sick during the time I'll be away? He is my first puppy ever so I am not very sure what to do.
What can I do to easy the separation time for him?
Thanks
Rosane
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi Rosane,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Generally speaking dogs are quite resilent. Most dogs will tolerate a short absence with no ill effects especially if he is going to be in his own home around other people who have been a part of his life even if they were just there and didn't have much interaction with him. You will want them to feed him at his regular times and try and keep his "routine" as close to what you do with him as dogs love routines.

Be sure his food is not changed and they don't give him unusual treats especially human food. A lot of people don't realize that some human foods can be toxic to a dog such as peanut butter with xylitol added, chocolate and onions. The other thing that can affect a dog is if they are reassured and held and stroked if they do whine and look for you. When you show a dog attention when they are exhibiting less than desirable behavior, it will encourage that behavior rather than help the dog adjust. The fastest way to the dog adjusting is for them to treat your dog in a normal manner.

You might go ahhead and get a DAP collar. They are proven to help with anxieties. That way if he does exhibit any anxious behavior at your departure, it should help calm him. DAP collars use a pheromone similar to the one a nursing mom emits to calm her puppies. It helps with separation anxiety as well. If you have a little time before you leave, you can practice a little time away from him so he understands that even if you go away, you come back.

You might also get some kongs with treat compartments. Fill them with yogurt or baby food that does NOT contain garlic or onion and then freeze them. Have your roommate give him one a day to help him keep him occupied. That should help as well.

Remember that when you get back, he may have bonded with your roommate and it may take a few days before he treats you the way he did before.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

I just got an emergency call and will be away for a few hours. If you have more questions, I'll respond upon my return.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.
Hi Rosane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again. Just a quick followup to see if you found my suggestions helpful and how things are going?