Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I'm looking around serious help. I just adopted my dog

Customer Question

Hi there. I'm looking around for some serious help. I just adopted my dog yesterday. He's a beautiful yellow lab mix (few other things). He's completely unsocialized. He lived his first 9 months with 11 other dogs, likely outside, then 3 years in a huge kennel shelter w/ 140 dogs and with maybe 15 minutes of human interaction a day (food, and a pet, maybe not even daily). I'm looking for simple training I can do until I get a trainer here. He won't eat or drink, or go to the bathroom, hasn't since he got in my car at 1 pm yesterday which is making me nervous. We're almost at 24 hours with no eating, drinking, pooping or peeing. When do I panic about that, first and foremost. (I have a pad down for him for when the urge overcomes the fear, I just wish he'd drink). I just need some help. I've had dogs, but never one like this. He's not leash trained. He had to be carried two flights up to my apartment (I have a terrace I can use to train him on) Right now I can get him to come out of his crate for treats, but then right back in. He did wander and hang out close to me last night but now the crate is his hiding place. I don't feel like I should coax him out and shut it because he feels comfortable in there. Anyway. I need help, obviously.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

What is his name?

When he comes out of his crate, what do you do?

What kind of dogs have you had in the past?

How much time are you able to devote to training daily?

Does he seem to get along with other dogs?