Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

Our rescue, who we adopted 5 months ago, has been through

Customer Question

our rescue, who we adopted 5 months ago, has been through several months of positive based training. she is still horrible on the leash (we have reverted to a soft plastic pinch collar) and has become much more vocal (she used to only bark at other dogs) and now barks at people walking down the street (when she is in the car or sitting at home). her growl has become more fierce when approaching a dog that seems submissive, though she has never bitten one. we try to exercise her, but feel like the off-leash exercise that we are providing is rewarding her bad behavior. we try to walk her around the neighborhood, but if she even approaches the fence where a dog has barked before, she will begin barking (even if the dog hasn't barked and can't be seen)
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible....

What breed is she?

What other leashes/collars have you used?

When she's barking, what do you do?

When you exercise her, is it on leash walks or off leash only?

Was the training at a class or are you trying to train her yourself?

Do you know how old she is?

Do you know anything about her life before you?