Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I've had my wonderful rescue,, a Terrier mix year. is 2

Customer Question

I've had my wonderful rescue, Walter, a Terrier mix for one year. Walter is 2 years old and neutered. He sufferes from extreme anxiety, ie. When left alone he screams, barks continually, jumps non stop. Due to his behavior, I seldom leave him. However on occassion I must. He also behaves the same way when left in the car. I have been warned by numerous police officers not to leave the dog in the car. I leave the windows open enough for ventalation as well as leaving the sun roof open a bit. I never leave him for longer then 10 minutes and he always has planty of food and water. I do not take him with me if the weather is warm. What can I do to relieve this poor animals anxiety? I feel terrible for himbecause I know he is suffering being alone.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Can you tell me what you have tried so far to help him with his anxiety including any training, medication, etc?

Has he always done this?

When he first did this around you, did you try to reassure him or always go back to him?

Have you actually taped him to verify that he indeed does it continuously when you are gone? Dogs often know if you are on the other side of the door or if the car didn't leave.