Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

My 5 year old Boxer is vicious with other dogs. He was

Customer Question

my 5 year old Boxer is vicious with other dogs.
He was trained at a very early age, took him to Dog parks and was very social.
It started about 2 years ago. He would start playing with another dog and he would completely snap. I broke up a good 5 or 6 viscous dog fights. I brought him back to his original trainer who suggested an e collar. This only works if I see a dog coming first and I quickly put him back on leash. It's gotten to the point when I do put him on leash (Just to take him home), he looks around and thinks another dog is around (which is not always the case). Max needs a lot of exercise and being off leash is pretty much the only way he can get it.
Its now at the point when walking him on leash, that if another dog walks by him he stands up on his two back legs and wants to lunge... a couple of times (tonight being one of them), his collar let go and he attacked a dog.
I am about to have a spinal fusion and cant physically control this anymore. I come home in tears because I love my dog so much and want him to be balanced. I know I am to blame for most if not all of this but I don't know how to turn it around. He is a very insecure dog and is afraid of everything but he is the sweetest most lovable at the same time. My two grand daughters can do anything to him and he is still so gentle. He lives with 2 other older dogs and has no problem with them.
Please, what can I do? I just want a healthy happy dog that I can take outside.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Does he act aggressive when he's out with someone else?

Has he been to obedience classes?

Do you use a traditional leash and collar?

What do you do when he acts aggressively?

What is your zip code?