Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a breeder and owner of dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

I have a beautiful little Cairn Terrier - very small. I live

Customer Question

I have a beautiful little Cairn Terrier - very small. I live in Richmond, Va. We were hit with this snow storm yesterday morning. Prior to the storm she peed and pooped several times. However, once the snow set in, she has peed only one time and I am actually not sure that she was responsible for what I saw. The depth of the snow now is such that I cannot get to the street to perhaps walk her in tire tracks. I put a tarp down behind my house, but it has frozen and I can't move it. I have piddle pads all over my house, but since she was never trained to one of these, she won't use them.
Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry for the troubles you're having ....with both the storm and with your dog.

I know it may sound strange to say so, but most all dogs will eventually urinate when their bladder expands enough. Some patients are able to hold their urine for very long periods of time, often up to 10-12 hours and more although, obviously, this isn't ideal.

If you're not able to leave your house, then I'd closely monitor her for behavior which might be consistent with her need to urinate which would be wandering off from the family, getting ready to squat or perhaps even urinating. Should you see these signs, then immediately pick her up an put her on a pee pad. Lavishly praise her so that she knows that she did a "good" thing but don't punish her if you just find the urine.

Hopefully, the storm will let up soon and/or you'll be able to get out of your house so that you can shovel a path for her.

If you can manage to shovel a small area for her to urinate outside of your house (and it doesn't have to be a large area), then walk her multiple times over the next several hours. When her bladder is full enough and even if she doesn't like the snow, she'll urinate.

I hope this helps and that you both stay safe. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in on your dog. How are things going with her urinating? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb