Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

How do i get two male dogs from attacking each other and not

Customer Question

how do i get two male dogs from attacking each other and not to fight both have been fixed about two weeks ago ?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Are both terriers?

Are both males?

What are their ages?

Did you have one before the other?

Which dog seems to be the aggressor usually?

Can you describe the circumstances surrounding a couple of attacks?

Has either dog had obedience training?

I was hoping to get a response back to my request for more information, but I don’t want you to go without an answer either. I want to mention that it can take up to a month before the male hormones decrease after neutering, so the aggression may lessen once it has been a month.

Dogs are aggressive toward other dogs in order to dominate them, protect you or to scare them off if they are fearful of the other dogs. In this case , they are fighting with each other so it is likely dominance aggression. This usually happens when dogs are evenly matched in size, health and dominance OR when an existing alpha is no longer the best choice for alpha due to a stronger dog maturing or a health concern. Determining which dog is or should be the alpha is kind of important. You will use that information to help curb fighting.

The first step to correcting this problem is to get them both obedience trained as quickly as possible. You have to work with them. You can have a trainer teach them the commands if you want but you have to practice them over and over with them in formal practice sessions each day to have them see you as the ultimate boss.

.

The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

This helps establish you as the boss. As the boss it is your job to keep the peace and tell each dog what they can or can not do. Of course you have to do that . Additional training can help you accomplish that. Both dogs should be leashed and if one dog even looks at the other dog, a correction should be done. Any sign of aggression including a prolonged look, hair raised on the shoulders, a growl or even a stiff legged walk, should be corrected. A correction is a quick tug of the leash and a firm low toned "NO". Once you have done this couple of times, you should notice the dogs ignoring each other. When that happens, you will want to reward them for the desired behavior. Again, use tasty treats like the hot dog slices. This teaches the dogs that you WILL not tolerate fighting in YOUR pack.

Learn body language so you can head off attacks and potentially aggressive situation BEFORE they happen. Here are sites that can help you know what dogs are transmitting silently to each other. Using commands or distractions to sstop the body language can help defuse the situation.

http://www.apdt.com/petowners/park/body-language/

http://www.pawsacrossamerica.com/interpret.html

They both need exercise. A tired dog is a good dog. Walks should be fast paced walks and not an opportunity for your dog to smell every bush. If the walk is fast paced, hopefully you will be past any other dogs fairly quickly thus lessening the opportunity of aggression. Keep a hot dog sliver in your hand so he is more focused on that treat and may walk right past the other dog. If he does ignore the other dog and focus on your hand, reward him with the treat. This will help him learn to ignore the other dog as well. Walk him alone initially. You will need to train him alone first.

Finally, as you will have seen on the above pages, a high held tail often is a sign of dominance and even aggression. As strange as it sounds, brushing that tail down to a neutral position or even down to a submissive position also seems to alter the dogs mood at the same time which can also help defuse a situation as well.

Taking them both around other dogs can also help the situation as long as all dogs are under the control of their owners. When 2 dogs in one household are taken around strange dogs, they tend to draw together as a pck since they live together. This can help them bond better and reduce fighting. I did mention you need to figure out which one is the best choice to be alpha. That dog should be fed first, given treats first and shown affection first. That is the privilege that alphas receive. If you don't do that, the dogs are confused and a less qualified dog for alpha might feel they are a good choice since you treat them like an alpha a lot of the time.

If blood is being drawn, you may need to purchase some basket style muzzle to have them wear until training is completed to remove the possibility of injuries. You need the basket style so they can be worn for longer periods of time and still be able to drink eat and breath relatively normal.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have. I will reply when I awake in the morning. If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

13 Jan 2016, 12:05 AM

Offer Additional Service