Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a shitzu 4 years old and then my sons dog a pit

Customer Question

I have a shitzu 4 years old and then my sons dog a pit bull/golden retriever moved in over a year ago. no problems ontil a month ago,, the pitbull attacked my shitzu twice, once over closed space in a smart car,, though they shared the space often this time,, dozer the pitbull attacked daisy, and locked on to her,, had to open the car and he jumped out with her and kept swinging her by the neck round and round for a good 5 minutes, till I kicked him in t he chest, I got her free and had to put her over a 6 foot fence,, he settled down,, and could drive home with him in the back and daisy on my lap,, she was a mess with lacerations on neck, required no stiching. a week later,, we were all in the kitchen bringing in groceries and dozer had ben eating so boundariers he went for her again. managed to get her out the door. we are now living separated and sometimes near each other on differenct couches.. dozer is not an aggressive pit bull,, yet,, can I keep them both.. it breaks my heart to give him away... can I work with them. it breaks my heart to let dozer go.. help
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Hi this is DRB and I understand your situation very well as I have dealt with this so many many times over the years. You can seek behavioral therapy for this if you choose to but it is very likely that the best you will be bale to achieve will be managed situation with keeping them apart. Dozer does not have to be an aggressive dog or bad with people to do this type of behavior.

One thing I try to explain to all clients is that the nicest dog in the world can do this type of behavior. Dog's by their very nature are predators and living with them we unfortunately forget this fact. But some breeds like Pitts have their predator instinct just a little more at the surface than say a Shih Tzu like your other dog.

Dozer does not realize that he is doing anything wrong but on that first attack he would have killed your other dog if you had not been there to stop the situation. He sees your other dog as prey for whatever reason......there is nothing you can do to change that perception.

Pitts can be absolutely wonderful dogs but the majority of them cannot live in harmony with other animals, neither cats nor other dogs especially small dogs because they will ultimately perceived as prey. Most Pitts do better in a single household as the only dog. I hope that makes sense.

If you are determined to try to make this work then I can help you find a professional behaviorist but I can tell you that they are going to give you close to the same advice that I have given to you. But I am glad to help you locate someone.

Ultimately for your Shih Tzu the very best thing you can do is find Dozer another home where he is the only dog preferably with someone that really knows dogs well. I have some very wonderful Pitt patients in my hospital but every one of them would attack another dog if given the chance. I know this is not what you wanted to hear but this is what I have seen in 26 years of practice. I do hope this will help you and feel free to ask any follow up questions as I will be happy to help you. I check my computer every night but it will be late tonight as I have a very long day today.Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

PS: I just saw the phone call request. If you would prefer a phone call I can opt out and allow another expert to help you. I cannot take phone calls due to my state board rules. Just let me know what you would prefer. Thank you, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.